How to Maintain Healthy Habits as a Busy Professional
Are you constantly too tired to fit in your daily workout session? Are you so busy that you forget to eat a healthy meal?
If you answered yes to these questions, then this is the article for you.
At Eat the 80, we are very familiar with the lives of business professionals. Our days consists of urgent deadlines, business meetings and sometimes multiple cups of coffee. With the demands that our professions impose on us, it is easy to lose sight of other important requirements, like eating to fuel your body, and exercising to stay active.
The Constant Want for Work-Life Balance
Whether you work for a corporate business, work for a startup, or are an entrepreneur yourself, you probably prioritize work over your personal needs. Unfortunately, this is a normal occurance for business professionals. We tend to put our personal lives on hold in order to succeed in our work life and leave little time for things like family, friends and health.
Can you relate?
If so, here are a few techniques for a healthier work-life balance:
Map out your day and stick to a routine
- Find times that work best for you to help you accomplish daily goals. At Eat the 80, we are all about to-do lists! Most of our employees find that they work best when they physically map out their schedule by writing down their daily goals. We even use an app called Slack which allows us to chat directly from our phones or computers. Every morning when we get into work we like to tell the team what our top three priorities are for the day. This method allows us to stay on top of the tasks that are most important that day. As for lifestyle balance, one employee mentioned that she goes to the gym at the same time every day, this way it pushes her to go even when she’s not necessarily in the mood.
Take a step back
- We know that there is always more that can be done, but it is important to know when to walk away from the day. This may be a hard one for some of you, but it is important to let some things go. Focus on the big picture! While we understand that there is no way to eliminate stress from a business professionals life, we do recognize the fact that it can be valuable to one’s health to take a step back every once in a while.
Physically and mentally, it is important to keep your spirit up and your body moving. We know that is a very simple tip, that we’re sure most of you already know about. However, sometimes surrounded by the hussle and bussle of daily life, it can be easy to forget. We can assure you that keeping your body and mind moving will help you in the long run!
Here are a few tips to help you stay energized:
Take care of your body
- We only have one. Why not treat it right! It is important to take care of your body. This doesn’t just mean pushing yourself to meet that daily workout goal.Taking care of your body could mean things like, unplugging from social media for a few hours, or maybe even taking time to yourself to sit down and read a book. As for exercising, head to your local gym for an hour a day or go for a walk on a day with nice weather. You really will see a difference.
- Studies have shown that positivity directly affects your physical and mental health. When you start feeling yourself having negative emotions, think to yourself, “What am I feeling right now and why am I feeling this way?” Certain emotions can get in the way of your day. Listening to your body and figuring out why you are feeling a certain way is a healthy way of dealing with those emotions.
Food is the Fuel
There is no doubt, that the food we eat impacts our overall well-being. You may have a good idea of what a healthy eating plan is, but sometimes life gets in the way and it is hard to keep track of what you are putting into your body. Knowing the best quick and easy food options for business professionals can be the difference between eating well and not. If you’re more focused on your work priorities, it may be beneficial to get yourself on some type of eating schedule.
Why Eat the 80 Can Help:
Plan ahead to avoid bad habits
- The workplace can be a hectic environment. We know that those donuts your coworker brings in just because can be tempting! However, having food options quickly available to you can help you avoid binging and unhealthy eating habits. Having a meal service like Eat the 80 readily available can help by providing you with meals to bring to the office.
The 80/20 Principle
- We recognize that it is important to know how to monitor portions and learn what the right portion size is for each meal. We follow the 80/20 Principle just for this reason! Basically, 80 percent of the time, you should focus on eating clean, good-for-you foods, and the other 20 percent is left for you to have the freedom to indulge as you please. So, in the end, it is important to realize that it is okay to indulge, but in moderation.